The Buganda Masaza football tournament is open to both Baganda and non-Baganda players, with restrictions on those who have played in higher divisions or national teams.
2023 Buganda Masaza Cup Football Tournament – Quarter-Finals (First Legs):
Saturday, September 16th:
- Buvuma Vs Mawokota (3 PM) at Magyo Playground
- Kyaddondo Vs Buddu (4 PM) at Homesdallen
Sunday, September 17th:
- Gomba Vs Ssingo (4 PM) at Kabulasoke PTC Playground
- Bulemeezi Vs Buweekula (4 PM) at Kasana Playground, Luweero
After the successful group stage matches, attention now turns to the quarter-finals.
These quarter-finals are played on a home and away basis, with the top four teams based on aggregate scores advancing.
The eight remaining teams include Buweekula, Ssingo, Buvuma, Mawokota, Ggomba, Kyadondo, Bulemeezi, and reigning champions Buddu.
Buweekula, with 20 points from 10 matches, dominated Masengere group, leaving Buddu (16 points) trailing in second place.
Ssingo led Bulange group with 19 points, three points ahead of Buvuma in second place.
In the Muganzirwaza pool, Mawokota took the lead with 17 points, one point ahead of five-time winners Gomba.
Kyadondo and Bulemeezi finished with 15 points each, securing their spots as the two best runners-up.
The quarter-finals kick off on Saturday, September 16th, 2023, with a double header:
- Buvuma hosts three-time champions Mawokota at Magyo Playground at 3 PM.
- Kyaddondo, winners in 2008, face defending champions Buddu at Homesdallen Playground in Gayaza.
Buddu has strengthened its squad with forward Shakibu Mayanja, the top scorer at the 2023 Bika Bya Baganda football tournament.
Sunday, September 17th:
- Gomba hosts Ssingo at Kabulasoke PTC Playground.
- Bulemeezi takes on Buweekula at Kasana Playground, Luweero.
The return legs of the quarter-finals will be on September 24th, 2023, in Masaka, Mityana, Mpigi, and Mubende.
Semi-final matches will follow the two-legged format, leading to the grand finals at a yet-to-be-announced venue.
The Buganda Masaza Cup football tournament is renowned for its exciting matches and the ability to attract large crowds from across the Kingdom.
This tournament welcomes players from various tribes but restricts those who have competed in higher leagues or national teams.
Airtel Uganda is the leading sponsor, along with Kansai Plascon, Centenary Bank, CBS Radio, BBS Telefaina, and others.