Police in Buhweju District are investigating the death of a six-year-old child who is alleged to have eaten rat poison that his father had mixed with avocados to kill rats.
The spokesperson for the Greater Bushenyi Police, Marcial Tumusiime, disclosed that the incident occurred on November 2, 2023, in Mushasha Central Village, Mushasha Parish, Buhunga Subcounty, Buhweju District.
The victim, a student at St. Andrews Nursery School, was found vomiting by his father, Nahwera Julius, upon his return from work. Julius rushed the child to Mushasha Health Center III, where he was admitted.
The child’s condition worsened on November 3, 2023, and he was referred to Nsiika Health Center IV, where he passed away upon arrival.
Lilian Ahebwa, a 37-year-old councilor for Kyanyabita Parish in Bitsya Subcounty, Buhweju District, reported the case to the police.
The deceased’s body has been transferred to Mbarara Regional Referral Hospital for a postmortem examination.