Police in Kakumiro District, Uganda, have launched an investigation into the tragic death of a 26-year-old primary school teacher who was electrocuted while trapping grasshoppers.
The incident occurred in the early hours of Friday morning when James Kirungi, a teacher at Blessed Adolf Kolping Kindergarten (BAKEF), met his untimely demise. According to eyewitnesses, the incident took place at a grasshopper trapping site located in Kakumiro town’s East Cell.
Witnesses revealed that Kirungi came into contact with a live wire improperly connected to a high voltage line, resulting in his immediate death.
Kakumiro District Police Commander (DPC), SP Morris Niyonzima, confirmed that the poor power connection at the trapping site was the cause of the tragic accident. He further stated that Tadeo Asaba, the owner of the site and the vice chairperson of Kakumiro town council, has been apprehended.
DPC Niyonzima urged grasshopper trappers to register with the town council administration and security for their own safety. He also announced that the police would collaborate with Umeme, the local power distribution company, to disconnect all illegally connected grasshopper trapping sites in the town.
BAKEF headteacher, Mr. Asumpto Kahiira, expressed his profound sadness over the incident. He revealed that Kirungi had ventured out at around 3 am on Friday to harvest grasshoppers. Upon receiving information from concerned neighbors, the school staff rushed to the scene only to find Kirungi lifeless.
Despite their efforts to transport him to the hospital, Kirungi succumbed to his injuries.
Relatives at the scene disclosed that Kirungi had gone to the site to purchase grasshoppers to send to his parents in Kagadi District.