On Thursday, October 12, 2023, two pupils from The Green Primary School in Mukono District lost their lives, reportedly due to suspected food poisoning. The victims were identified as 13-year-old Andrew Kakumba, a P7 candidate, and 10-year-old Victor Bongole, a P1 pupil.
The circumstances surrounding their tragic demise were explained by the police on Friday. Preliminary investigations indicated that on October 11, Norah Nagujja, a teacher at the school, carried food from her home to the boarding section for her three children. The meal contained chicken, sweet potatoes, and rice. Her children, including Kakumba, shared the food with their friends (other learners) at the school.
During the night of Wednesday, the children who had partaken in the meal began to experience abdominal pain, diarrhea, headaches, and dizziness. In total, about 21 pupils at the school in Makukuba Village, Nakifuma-Naggalama Town Council, consumed the food in question.
The affected pupils were swiftly taken to St Francis Hospital and other nearby healthcare facilities. Among those admitted to Kayunga Regional Referral Hospital were Nagujja and two pupils, Catherine Nanyonjo and Leticia Nakasi.
It was revealed that Kakumba was the biological son of Nagujja, and she had also consumed the same food, though she and her other children did not experience severe effects.
The bodies of the two deceased pupils were transported to the city mortuary at Mulago in Kampala City for postmortem examinations.
Dr. Julius Musinguzi from St Francis Hospital Naggalama reported that they received victims in three categories, some with mild diarrhea. There were five individuals admitted, six receiving day care treatment, and eight under patient treatment.
The school’s director, David Ssefuma, clarified that the food responsible for the tragic incident was not prepared by the school. He expressed his shock at the sad news and urged the police to conduct a thorough investigation to ascertain the truth.